Baby Scot
Please Login or Create an Account.
Baby Scot
Please Login or Create an Account.
Baby Scot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby-Scot.co.uk is the ultimate guide for Baby Products, Advice, Fairs, Activites, Shopping, Support, Working Mums and Friendship in SCOTLAND. The Scottish Baby Directory.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» FREE BABY ON BOARD CAR SIGN
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 am by NCBABYDADNC

» THE SCOTTISH BABY & TODDLER SHOW
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am by jill@headlinepr.co.uk

» Getting Married? know anyone who is?
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 am by Signature Silver

» 20% discount on Fingerprint jewellery
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:49 am by Signature Silver

» A new pram!
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:06 am by McDuck

» Win £50 worth of Fingerprint Jewellery
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:08 pm by Signature Silver

» Fingerprint Pandora style dangle charm
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:45 am by Admin

» Family friendly restaurants in central Glasgow?
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Sun May 09, 2010 10:25 am by Melaina25

» Any Stirlingshire families fancy a great morning out on the shores of Loch Lomond?
Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 am by SeesawJenny

Any one doing party planning etc?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SeesawJenny

SeesawJenny

Any one doing party planning etc? Empty
PostSubject: Any one doing party planning etc?   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:58 am

Hi there

I'm a mum of 3 and I'm also an agent for Seesaw Children's Clothing. I think I'm actually the only one in Scotland!

I'm wondering if there are any other mums out there doing something similar? How do other folks find fairs and events to attend? How do you balance travelling to events and actually making any money? I'm finding it hard to justify travelling to some events, because by the time I've paid for fuel and a stand fee, there's not much left to take home when you're on commission!

Any advice really really welcome! I love what I do, I love meeting people, but I may jack it all in unless I can find a better way of making it work!
Back to top Go down
http://www.seesaw.uk.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Hi   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Jenny
Lovely to hear from you. There are are a few mums in business so please keep posting to find out what they have to say.

I would say that you have to stay with local fairs and maybe advertise on a few places that mums visit i.e mags and websites.

There is a scottish mumprenuer network on facebook you should join too https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Scottish-Mumpreneur-Network-Mums-in-Business/103134376391823?ref=ts
Back to top Go down
https://baby-scot.forumotion.com
PamsCards

PostSubject: Re: Any one doing party planning etc?   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 am

Hi there,
I'm also a direct seller and can understand your dilemma! I would recommend starting off locally. Have you done a home business launch? Invite friends/family/neighbours for a look at your range and a cuppa, maybe offer an incentive if they introduce new customers to you, and if they'll have a party themselves? You could also try Toddler Groups (offer a percentage of sales as a donation), School Fairs, Church Fairs etc. I've also looked at a few of the bigger events and their fees are hefty. On the flip side you are out showing your products and could also be generating future trade? I'm doing a couple this summer for the first time so no idea if they'll be successful or not, yet.
Are you able to get in touch with other distributors at all? I find it really inspiring finding out how other people make their business work, loads of hints and tips. We have a Facebook Group and also chat on Twitter.
Good luck, if you've any questions let me know :-).
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any one doing party planning etc?   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Good advice Pam.
Jenny do you do any advertising in local children's related magazines? We are happy to do a 3 month free listing on here so give us a shout.
I think you are onto a good thing being the only direct seller in Scotland you just need to capitailise on that.

What about press releases - have you done that?

We are also in the process of adding articles on work/life balance to the site - so feel free to submit an article and get some publicity too. This offer applies to any mumprenuers.
Back to top Go down
SeesawJenny

SeesawJenny

PostSubject: Re: Any one doing party planning etc?   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks Pam! I have done a few toddler groups and charity fayres etc as well as a few slightly bigger events, but as soon as the stand fee goes above £40 then I can't be guaranteed to come away with much in my pocket. I guess that's the downside of being commission based!

I haven't done anything in the way of advertising though, mainly because of the initial outlay, but I guess this whole business thing has to be a bit of a gamble to make it work!

I have my own facebook group page and I've ntoiced a couple of other Seesaw folk do too- maybe we should join forces seeing as we're not in direct competition? I do like the idea of picking their brains, but there isn't a forum to do that at the mo. Maybe I'll start that!!

I'll definitely track down the mumpreneur FB page too - thanks for that! (Do I call you Admin?? Very Happy ) And the article is very tempting indeed - I will take you up on that one! I'm away this weekend but will check in next week!

On the upside, since writing my moan on here the other day a stalholder from a fair I did on Saturday put me in touch with someone running another big event in Glasgow with no stand fee just a donation. I've been stuck doing the tin rural areas where I live, but getting into town will be a big boost!
Back to top Go down
http://www.seesaw.uk.com
PamsCards

PostSubject: Re: Any one doing party planning etc?   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 am

Hi there,
Re Advertising - have you tried the NCT? Most areas produce a newsletter every few months. Worth asking what they charge and how many people they distribute to?
Pam
Back to top Go down
Signature Silver

PostSubject: Strange idea but..........   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 am

HI Jenny

This may sound like a strange suggestion but I have recently set up in business selling fingerprint jewellery, and am having the same problems, assuming you don't have spare cash for advertising either!?

Anyhow, I have been visiting the local army bases during the mums coffee mornings, they don't charge you anything to go and show your wares, they encouirage it as it give them something to do while the partners are away. I know that they have beauticians going in regually, and they recently had pampered chef in so, no reason why you couldn't visit. if you would like details drop me an email info@signaturesilver.co.uk and I will point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Hannah*
Back to top Go down
http://www.signaturesilver.co.uk
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Fab   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 am

Hannah
That is wonderful advise - make sure you join the scottish mumpreneur group on facebook too.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Scottish-Mumpreneur-Network-Mums-in-Business/103134376391823?ref=ts

Will meassge you for more details.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any one doing party planning etc?   Any one doing party planning etc? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Any one doing party planning etc?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Baby Scot :: For Mum :: Scottish Mumpreneurs-
Jump to: